Acupuncture and Chinese medicine can be difficult to explain and each practitioner of this medicine is likely to explain it differently. Without going into great detail, one important fundamental principle that we hope to convey in this article is that Chinese medicine is so much more than Acupuncture.
Questions that often arise as we introduce people to this beautiful medicine is “Why do you call yourself Chinese Medicine practitioners instead of acupuncturists?” And “What is the distinction between being a Chinese Medicine clinic as opposed to an acupuncture clinic?”
Chinese Medicine is rooted in a history that originated more than 3000 years ago and is a complete system of medicine. While Acupuncture is a large part of this complex system, a Chinese Medicine practitioner has more tools than needles available to them if they have committed themselves to studying the entirety this beautiful medicine.
At Five Shen Wellness, when we say Chinese Medicine, our tool box/training includes:
- Classical Five Element Acupuncture
- Traditional Chinese Herbal Remedies
- Tibetan Foot Soak Therapies
- Manual Therapies such as Guasha, Tuina, Cupping, Thai Reflexology, and Therapeutic Massage
- Movement based therapies such as TaiChi, Qigong, Yoga, and more…
- Meditation/Mindfulness Instruction
- Energetic Medicine, including Stone Medicine and Essential Oil Therapies (When we say oils, we are focused on the approach traditional to Chinese medicine, not the modern MLM brands seen today – this is another post for another day).
- As well as a few tools from other traditions such as Traditional Usui Reiki, Yoga, and Homeopathic medicine.
Over time we intend to dive deeper into how WE use each of these tools, what they have to do with Chinese medicine, and most importantly why you should ALWAYS seek someone educated, qualified, and properly trained when exploring/considering ANY of these powerful natural approaches to maintaining YOUR health.
For now, what we hope you take away is that when we say “we practice Chinese medicine,” what we really mean is what we do here at FIVE SHEN WELLNESS is unique and much more complex than acupuncture alone or simply “sticking needles where it hurts”.
Please continue to follow us as we break down the various pieces of the beautiful system of medicine and of course if you have ANY questions pertaining to Chinese medicine or how we, here at Five Shen Wellness, can help you, reach out &/or schedule your FREE 30 minute consultation.